Saturday 3 January 2015

Welcome, 2015!

Happy New Year, everyone! Finally I'm back. It wasn't enough that December was super busy, and expensive, but then our laptop packed in completely. It's currently in PC World, having all the files, photos etc taken off it (£80 for the privilege of getting our own stuff back - and so far that's taken 2 weeks and counting), but we decided just to replace it. So, today, we got our new one. With fancy Windows 8.1 which neither of us know how to use...

I have a few half written, or fully written but no-photos-taken posts in draft currently. The laptop issue actually has nothing to do with lack of photos - blame the appalling weather for that one - but, as I've moaned about mentioned before, I cannot fully write a post from my iPad as I can't add links, formatting etc on the Blogger App. Really? Still?!

Anyway, its that time of year when everyone writes their review of 2014/plans for 2015 posts. I wasn't planning on doing that. 2014 wasn't a "typical" sewing year for me (whatever that is), as I had large periods of no sewing (pregnancy tiredness, working full time, new baby), followed by short bursts of intensive sewing (start of mat leave pre-baby, December craziness), and I never really set any goals for the year anyway for exactly that reason.

A few of my favourite makes from 2014. Second from right is as yet unblogged (skirt)
Furthermore, 2015 will throw up some further challenges, and I have no idea how that will affect my sewing time. In May I will go back to work. I don't yet know if that will be full or part time. In August, Small Boy will start school, meaning a whole new episode of our lives and different childcare, thus I will be dropping off/collecting 2 children from 2 different places every working day. In June this year my husband started a new job where he works remotely, and spends a lot of time travelling. He's been away pretty much 5 days a week, every week for the past 3 months. So, it's odds on that I'll be doing all of the above myself. I'm not sure how much time that's going to leave for sewing. Still, I remain optimistic. I might need the sewing to save my sanity!

Considering all of this, I feel there is little point setting myself goals. I know I enjoy sewing best when I am free of constraints and deadlines, so why stress myself further? I have sewing goals that I would like to achieve AT SOME POINT, but I have plenty of time for them.

Instead, for 2015, I'd like to focus on creating space, both literally and mentally. Finishing all the WIPs, mending jobs and promised but not yet fulfilled projects. I'd like to spend some time clearing out my sewing storage space (bit of the hall cupboard), getting things in order and establishing what exactly I have - and then to try to use up my stash where possible. I can't afford the luxury (financially or spacially) of a large stash, and to be honest, I just find it a bit stifling, so I think it would do me good to clear as much as possible: to give my sewing and my creativity room to breathe and develop.

Our hall cupboard - AKA my sewing storage, I am ashamed to admit!
For my recent birthday, I received money, which I plan to spend on a new camera. Our current camera is about 8 years old, and the photo quality is pretty poor. I've recently taken to using my phone for blog photos as the quality is much better. So my last aim for 2015 is to get round to choosing and buying a new camera, and then learning to use it. I think I want a bridge camera - a step up from a point and click, but easier to lug around and to use than a DSLR (I am not a photographer, but I'd like to learn a bit more), and it seems that a bridge would give that. If any of you have any recommendations or suggestions, feel free to let me know in the comments. What camera do you use? (I also asked this recently on Instagram, so apologies for the repetition if you already saw that there).

So, that's me. I am enjoying reading all about what everyone else is planning for 2015 and can't wait to see what progress everyone makes. Good luck to us all!


SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Creating space sounds like a perfect target for you this year. I hope you manage to balance everything and I look forward to seeing what you create this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back. It looks like you've had a mammoth year. Creating space sounds cool. I'd love to do that, if only I could find the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the space, which is the problem! I hope I can create space where. On exists. If that makes sense...

      Delete
  3. Your goals sound very wise, given all that you already have scheduled for the year ahead. Things that you can chip away at in bits, such as editing your supplies, sound perfect. I actually wish I had less of a stash, as it feels like a bit of a reproach, but I find it hard to resist buying second hand fabric when I see it incase I never see any again! I am going to edit/reduce my stash too!! Happy new year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With second hand, you really would never see it again. I buy new, thinking the same, but to be honest, there are other equally as good fabrics out there. There aren't many that I couldn't live without, if I am brutally honest with myself.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great plan. You will be busy. When they go to school you think childcare will be easier but it's actually harder as they get way more holidays than you do. At least nurseries don't take long holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish he could just stay at nursery forever! I get stressed just thinking about the holidays and in service days!

      Delete
  5. What a huge year! I think your approach to 2015 sounds ideal, and very wise - you've probably guaranteed that any sewing time will be enjoyable for you rather than stressful. I love the look of that unblogged skirt - hope you get a chance to post about it sometime soon! And here's hoping for a much calmer January for you all... oxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping you are right, and that I can use sewing to de-stress, rather than he opposite! And yes, just need to get some photos of the skirt!!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good plan for 2015 :) While I don't know too much about cameras, we've got an Olympus Pen EPL-1 - we've just got the basic lens but you can change it up and the basic camera is fairly solid. There's a bit more you can do with it but you can also just set it up auto (which I am guilty of doing most). Have had it for three years so not sure what the updated equivalent is though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Elaine! I spotted you had an Olympus at our last meet up. I'll probably mostly leave it in auto too, but I like the idea of manual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow sounds like 2015 is going to be busy! I like the idea of creating space and really wish I didn't have so much stash - it just stresses me out & makes me feel I should be sewing all the time!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

© Grosgrain Green | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig